From Students for Students

It happens often that during your studies, an internship, study abroad exchange, or other study-related absences from Mannheim is necessary and you want to sublet your accommodation rather than terminate your rental agreement. Here you can submit information about your accommodation for subleasing it from student to student. You can submit your contact information so that the student searching for a short-term rental can contact you directly.

You are studying here in Mannheim and are looking for an accommodation to sublease?

Please take a look at the list of sublets

You are a tenant of a room or apartment in one of the residences of the Studierendenwerk Mannheim and would like to sublet your accommodation to another student?

Then please fill out the online form and send it to us so we can activate your listing.

More information and the guidelines for subleasing an accommodation can be found in the information below.

How it works:

  1. You send an e-mail to your responsible housing administrator for the residence you live in and ask if you can sublease and provide the time of the desired sublet. Tenants of a Studierendenwerk residence hall may sublease their accommodation for a maximum of three months. With an proved study-related exchange abroad or mandatory internship outside of the Mannheim, you can sublease your accommodation up to six months.
  2. Fill out the online form.
  3. We check the information and activate your listing.
  4. You will be directly contacted by those interested.
  5. You then provide your housing administrator with the name, e-mail, and telephone number along with the enrollment certificate of the student who wishes to sublease your accommodation.
  6. If you have found a student to sublease your accommodation or no longer wish to have your listing active, please inform us as soon as possible to deactivate it.
  7. After the given subleasing duration, your listing will be deactivated automatically.

Tips for subleasing an accommodation at the Studierendenwerk (main tenant):

Have you already asked the Studierendenwerk for permission to sublease your agreement? If yes, then please take a look at the tips for subleasing below. Please be aware that you must have permission to sublease your accommodation. More information and the terms and conditions can be found in the General Terms and Conditions of Renting an Accommodation at the Studierendenwerk Mannheim.

  • You may only sublease your accommodation to one of the five institutions for which the Studierendenwerk Mannheim is responsible for. Alternative rules may apply. University of Mannheim, University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Mannheim), Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim (DHBW), Popular Music and Music Business (Popakademie), Music and Performing Arts (Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst)
  • The monthly rent as agreed upon with the Studierendenwerk Mannheim shall not be exceeded (exception for unfurnished accommodations: Here you may charge a small and reasonable fee).
  • You remain the main tenant for the whole duration and are responsible for possible damages. The monthly rent will be deducted from the bank account of the main tenant.
  • Create a sublet agreement which detail the most important points. (Name, description of the rental object, duration of the sublease, rental price and possible fee, security deposit,) and provide the subletting student with some tips and rules about the residence.
  • Please be aware that the Studierendenwerk cannot store furniture or personal items while subletting your accommodation.
  • You must organize the key handover with your subleasing tenant.

Tips for searching for an accommodation for subleasing:

  • Be aware of the duration. Does it work for what you are looking for?
  • Is the room furnished or not? If it is furnished, is there a fee and if so, is it a reasonable one?
  • Subleasing tenants are also required to register with the city of Mannheim. The main tenant must provide the tenancy/landlord confirmation. Be aware that only the main tenant may fill out and sign the Landlord Confirmation
  • We suggest that you schedule and document the handover of the room and keys with the main tenant.